Gifted54 had a great time at the 2017 LSE African summit. The two days were filled with workshops, Keynote speakers and Presentations. The theme of this year was ‘Built for Africa : African Solutions to African Issues?’ It ends with a question mark, which we found brilliant because are African solutions really the answer to African issues or maybe not a global problem to Africa’s issues.
The answer became very clear during the two days of Empowerment, Education and Inspiration which gifted54 stands for. The first day of the event was a wonderful welcome speech given by Julia Black the Interim Director of LSE who is also Pro Director for Research at LSE and one of the Keynote speaker who also contributed to the success of the event.
With His Excellency Paramasivum Pillay Vyapoory Vice-President of the Republic of Mauritius, Prof. Muhammadou M.O. Kah who is currently engaged by ADA University in Baku, Azerbaijan as the Vice Rector For Technology & Innovations and Founding Dean for the School of Information Technology & Engineering and Anas Aremeyaw who is a world-famous yet anonymous Ghanaian undercover investigative journalist. LSE African summit had great panellists who gave great presentations.
The first day was the research conference:
Panel 1 – Security & Justice: Conflict, Terrorism & R2P
Audience contribution was: an audience member asked well, would not Education fix the problem of terrorism?
Panellists response: No not really there is no magic bullet Cure for this even with education its still a problem. For example there was a young man who was a mechanic and the head of his clan. He had bin threatened that if he don’t join this group, they would basically kill of his clan members. In this situation education isn’t going to solve it alone A multifaceted approach needs to take place.
Panel 2 – Law & Development : Citizen-Led Accountability
Muhammadou Kah came on stage to give a speech.
Quotes of his speech:
- The strength of Africa is in the youth and people as well in its resources.
- We can not do it without Entrepreneurship, Education, Freedom, investment, Ethics and discipline through hard an smart Work
- Don’t abandon African culture
- Don’t think people don’t think resources don’t think opportunity but rather think Africa.
After the speech people had excitement on their faces and were motivated as well as encouraged for the future of Africa.
Anas gave a very inspirational speech in regards to his work, he stated that not everything will be workable in his society, I am criticized as a Vigilante but this works for my people. I welcome your criticism but I disagree” His Journalism and his undercover investigations focus primarily on issues of human rights abuse, child abuses and corruption, carried out in many countries, with a primary focus on Sub-Saharan Africa.
Business Conference was the last and second day of the conference, like the first day, the business conference did not disappoint us. It started off with lots of education, inspiration and empowerment they had topics like Improving Africa’s service economy, Rethinking Africa’s trade policies and last but not least Bridging Africa’s Financing Gap.
Each segment was inspirational on its own, the students were all engaging and asked critical and provoking questions to the panellists and speakers.
My personal highlight on the evening was to see Isabel Dos Santos give presentation and to hear Ibukun Awosika who is the Chairlady of First Bank of Nigeria limited.
Ibunkun Awosika was speaking in the second session of “Self discovery & Value Creation”
Here are some few points Mrs. Awosika mentioned and are needed to remember.
You must think to deliver the value of the country in her case it was Nigeria.
She also pointed out other valuable life lessons:
- Building a great network is a major key for Success in Business
- In Life you have to learn to be persistence
- Be Focus
- You don’t know what you want, or where you going but once you know what you don’t want, don’t stay there.
- You must be willing to learn from everybody
- What would you like to read about your life, in the age of 90?
- When you know who you are, things will get better for you
- Choose the right influencers in your life
- Every time you get an unusual opportunity, live value, behind and make the best of it
- Gain the knowledge, once you have the knowledge no one can take it away from you